Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 

Great Illustrated Classics

We're a third of the way into Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and we are loving it. Sarah begged me to keep reading tonight even though it was well past her bedtime. We talked about what to read next and she said she wanted me to look for an adventure about a horse.
"I bet the public library has a whole aisle for horse adventures. They have 10,000 books there! Well, I guess they are all about science."


Anyway, this brings me to the point of this entry. For the last several months I have been wanting to read some of the classics. Remember those books that your teachers MADE you read in Junior High? Yeah... those. Unfortunately, I'm a very slow reader and I honestly thought this was just a pipe dream. But I happened across this series the other night (at Walgreens!!!) and it really got me excited. I did some Googling and found a huge desperity in the prices of these books. At Walgreens, they are $2.99 each or 2 for $5.00. Some searching on Amazon revealed the same editions for $14+ each. Very strange! So I continued to search and found 3 sets of 20 for $36 per set. One of the sets is labeled "for girls" and another "for boys." Presumably the third set contains the books that didn't easily fit in the gender based sets. I'm not a member at Costco, but I AM a member at Sam's Club. I wondered over to Samsclub.com and found the exact same sets... listed at $136.72 per set! My next task is to visit Costco and see if they have these in the store. If so, I'm going to buy one of them. In the meantime, I wondered back to Walgreens and purchased Black Beauty (remember the request for a book about horses?), Treasure Island, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and The Call of the Wild.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?